Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - Eugene Victor Rhinehart


Do you see that handsome man up in the corner of the page?  That's my grandfather, Eugene Victor Rhinehart.  I met him once when I was a tiny infant, and I'm told he held me in his arms, but I never saw him again, and yet, he's one of my favorite people to have ever walked this green earth.  It's funny how learning about someone you've never met can make you feel so close to them.  I believe in a hereafter, and I'm so excited to sit down and talk to this wonderful man.

He had his problems in life - he battled alcoholism - but everyone loved him. I think he just loved the people in his life dearly.  He was born June 22, 1920 in Cambridge, Guernsey, Ohio, and died January 21, 1980 in Newark, Licking, Ohio.  He was part of the Civilian Conservation Corps, sent from Ohio to Vernal, Utah, where he met my beautiful grandmother, and where he learned his trade.  During World War II, he served in the 1st Special Construction Battalion (Seabees) in Guadal Canal.  He was a gifted machine operator and worked in construction all of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment